Sunday, August 26, 2007

Fred Rogers - RIP

After an eventful trip to New England, we returned home on Thursday evening. It was a long day, too long of a day. I was ready to pack it in when I received an email entitled "Sad News". I didn't recognize the recipient, but "cautiously" opened it. It was from the uncle of an old acquaintance/friend, Fred Rogers. To my dismay, the email mentioned that Fred passed away on Wednesday. I'm very saddened by this news.

We grew up together at Peninsula Temple Beth El in San Mateo. I remember him in Hebrew School class, volunteering to answer questions in Hebrew. What a brave soul! I'll never forget the visit I made to the kibbutz he was staying on in Israel: Mishmar Ha'Emek, a kibbutz like no other for a soul like no other. I feel his kibbutz experience really opened him up. After that, when he returned home, Fred spoke about raising chickens and bees.

We went to College of San Mateo (CSM) together. At CSM, we attended a "History of Jazz" class. We went to the UC Berkeley jazz festival and other jazz concerts. He opened the door to a better appreciation of music in general. There were many times we went out, sometimes with Raya and their friends. I remember when we drove up from UCSB, in his jeep. We had some fun times.

Fred was a novel thinker. He was often thinking about new products and technology usage. He had great knowledge about the inner workings of businesses, financial markets and trends.

Most distinctive about Fred was his friendliness. He was one of the friendliest, good-natured people around. He was uplifting, and I always enjoyed seeing or running into him.

The last 1 1/2 years of his life, he was living with and was the caretaker of his elderly father, Maurice. There can be no higher mitzvah (good deed) than to take care of one's parent who's in need. That is a testimony to Fred and serves as a reminder of his worth, character, and goodness.

I will miss him. May his life be for a blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home